A Syrian government offensive against the al-Qaida stronghold of Idlib and Turkish attacks on Kurdish forces in Afrin are creating a humanitarian crisis and massive displacement. The UN is calling for a ceasefire.
Fighting raging across northwestern Syria threatens to heighten the dire humanitarian crisis and has already displaced tens of thousands of civilians, a top UN official said on Thursday.
Jan Egeland, the head of a UN task force on humanitarian aid in Syria, said the situation in Idlib province is "screaming for a ceasefire."
"We cannot have conventional warfare in what is essentially a refugee camp," he said of the province, where 1.2 million out of 2.4 million civilians are internally displaced people.
Backed by Russia and Iran, the Syria regime has pressed an offensive against Idlib from the south and east since late last year.
The province is one of the last rebel strongholds in Syria and is also host to many al-Qaida linked militants.
Egeland said since mid-December almost a quarter of a million people had been displaced into or from Idlib due to fighting.
Turkey, Iran and Russia have agreed on a so-called "de-escalation zone" in Idlib, essentially dividing the region up into spheres of influence.
Since October, the Turkish military has set up military observation posts in the northern part of Idlib, with reports in recent days of Turkish military movements in the area.
The Turkish military and its rebel allies on January 20 launched an offensive against the Kurdish-held enclave of Afrin in a bid to clear out "terrorists" from its border.
The offensive in Afrin has further raised tensions with NATO ally the United States, which backs the Kurdish YPG militia in control of Afrin.
The United States has no troops in Afrin, but supports the YPG under the banner of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighting the "Islamic State" in northeast Syria.