The documents contain officers' accounts and witness statements on the deadliest mass shooting in US history. The department was forced to release the documents in a suit filed by news organizations.
On Wednesday, the Las Vegas police department handed over some 1,200 pages of documents pertaining to last year's mass shooting at a country music concert, which killed 58 people. The release came after news organizations investigating police, emergency responders' and hotel employees' response to the attack sued for the release of videos, 911 recordings, evidence logs and interviews.
Las Vegas police were loath to turn over the documents, claiming that doing so was too time intensive and costly. They also said publishing the documents risked divulging police investigative tactics. The department has yet to turn over all of the documents requested.
'A wounded community'
Addressing reporters in early May, Clark County Sherriff Joe Lombardo said his department's investigation was still ongoing. He also specifically apologized for the release of documents he claimed would "further traumatize a wounded community."
Earlier this month, the department released video footage of officers entering the room in which the shooter, Stephen Paddock, had barricaded himself. That footage showed officers barging into a suite on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay casino and hotel to find the shooter dead on the floor from a self-inflicted wound. The video also showed a number of assault rifles and ammunition casings strewn around the suite.
Lots of guns but no motive
In the days that followed the shooting, authorities found dozens more guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition at two houses belonging to Paddock in Nevada. They also found roughly 100 pounds (45 kilos) of explosives in a vehicle he had parked outside the hotel.
Police and FBI have yet to find a motive for the shooting which killed 58 concertgoers and injured hundreds more on October 1, 2017.