Suicide bombings in Yemen′s Aden leave dozens dead or wounded | Middle East| News and analysis of events in the Arab world | DW | 24.02.2018
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Middle East

Suicide bombings in Yemen's Aden leave dozens dead or wounded

Twin car bombs have killed at least six people at a security camp in Yemen's southern city of Aden. The "Islamic State" group has claimed responsibility.

Yemen's de facto capital, Aden, has been hit by a twin suicide bomb attack, security officials in the city said on Saturday.

The Reuters news agency reported that dozens of people were killed or wounded in the blasts, which targeted a counterterror camp in the city's Tawahi district.

The Associated Press cited security officials as saying that six people were killed and 43 others had been wounded.

Read more: Yemen's forgotten war: Locals tell their stories

Watch video 02:08
Now live
02:08 mins.

Berlin Globals: Basel Abdullah from Yemen

Medical officials said those killed included three civilians and three security personnel. They added that wounded people were taken to hospitals for treatment.

"The explosions terrified dozens of families living in the area that hurried to the street to look for their children," eyewitness Gamal Mahdi told the AP. He added that the explosions were followed by heavy gunfire.

Other witnesses said militants tried to storm the camp before detonating the bombs but failed. Photos surfaced following the explosion showing the charred vehicles and clouds of heavy smoke hovering over the area.

The Yemen-based freelance reporter and graphic artist Ahmed Jahaf posted images to Twitter of the scene following the attack.

Read more: German ban on arms exports to Yemen conflict called into question

Attack claimed by IS

Within a few hours, the "Islamic State" (IS) group claimed responsibility for the bombings through its Amaq news agency, describing two "martyrdom operations" in the city.

Aden has recently witnessed suicide bombings and blasts that target security officials and are usually claimed by IS or al-Qaida, who have exploited the conflict for their own aims.

The southern city has been the temporary seat of Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi's government since 2014, when Shiite rebels known as Houthis seized Yemen's capital, Sanaa, and forced him into self-exile.

A Saudi-led military coalition intervened in support of Hadi in March 2015 against the Iran-allied Houthis, in a war that has killed more than 9,200 people and driven the country to the verge of famine.

Read more: Saudi Arabia gives Yemen $2 billion to stave off hunger and prop up currency

Saturday's attack was the first of its kind in Aden since January, when a group of southern separatists surrounded the presidential palace, attempting to wrest control of the city from Hadi's government.

Watch video 01:03
Now live
01:03 mins.

Renewed fighting in Aden

mm/jm (AFP, AP, dpa, Reuters)

Each evening at 1830 UTC, DW's editors send out a selection of the day's hard news and quality feature journalism. You can sign up to receive it directly here.

DW recommends

WWW links

Audios and videos on the topic

ADVERTISEMENT