The Norwegian Refugee Council has called for a return to monitoring of the Yemen conflict after reporting that civilian casualties have nearly doubled since independent monitoring endedImage: Khaled Abdullah/REUTERS
Yemen: Civilian casualties double since end of monitoring
February 10, 2022
A Norwegian rights group has noted a startling rise in civilian casualties since the UN ended human rights monitoring in Yemen. It has called for the reinstatement of an independent body.
A humanitarian NGO said civilian deaths and injuries in Yemen's civil war have spiraled since independent monitoring was cut by the UN in October.
"Figures we release today show civilian casualties have doubled in Yemen since UN human rights monitoring ended last October," the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said in a statement on Thursday.
'Unchecked, horrific violations' since removal of monitoring
The NRC said that 1,523 civilians had been killed or injured in the four months after the UN pulled the plug on its monitoring operation in the country.
Four months prior to the UN's decision to disband the Group of Eminent and Regional Experts on Yemen (GEE), the number of civilians killed or injured stood at 823.
During the same period, the report states that there were 39 times more civilian casualties caused by airstrikes.
"The removal of this crucial human rights investigative body took us back to unchecked, horrific violations,” said Erin Hutchinson, country director of the NRC in Yemen.
"Who is responsible for the deaths of these children and families? We will probably never know because there is no longer any independent, international and impartial monitoring of civilian deaths in Yemen,” Hutchinson added.
Baking bread during Yemen's humanitarian crisis
Calls for restablishment of human rights monitoring
The NRC has called for the immediate reinstatement of the GEE or for a similar human rights monitor to be put in place.