The Iranian star of an Oscar-nominated movie announced that she would boycott the Hollywood film awards. Taraneh Alidoosti said she is protesting US President Donald Trump's proposed visa bans on some Muslim countries.
One of Iran's most prominent actresses called travel restrictions to the US expected to be proposed on people from Iran and six other Muslim-majority countries "racist." Taraneh Alidoosti told the New York Times that she would not go to the US even if the ban did not affect her own ability to get a visa.
"It's not acceptable to me to respect a state that does not respect the people of my country," the 33-year-old actress said.
Alidoosti stars alongside Shahab Hosseini in "The Salesman," directed by Iranian director Asghar Farhadi. The drama was officially nominated on Tuesday for an Academy Award in the category of best foreign language film. Farhadi already won an Oscar in 2012 for his film "A Separation."
Trump buying time
The proposed restrictions on visas for people from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Yemen are part of a draft executive order outlined by Trump earlier in the week, which could be signed into law shortly. Initially designed to last 30 days, the order would buy Trump time to make good on his campaign promise to stop immigration from Muslim countries - a move that has been staunchly criticized by opposition lawmakers.
Meanwhile, Trump told ABC news that the order was not a ban on Muslims, but on countries with terrorism.
"No, it's not the Muslim ban, but it's countries that have tremendous terror," Trump said. "And it's countries that people are going to come in and cause us tremendous problems."
The draft law would also see the suspension of the United States' broader refugee program for 120 days.
The Oscars awards ceremony is scheduled to be held on Sunday, Februar 26 in Los Angeles.
ss/kbm (AP, AFP, Reuters, dpa)