At least five people have been shot after a fight involving more than 100 Eritreans and Afghans erupted in Calais. The French interior minister blamed traffickers for "fueling daily violence and brawls."
A massive, two-hour brawl involving more than 100 Eritrean and Afghan nationals in Calais on Thursday left five migrants in critical condition after being shot. Twenty-two people were injured. They had been standing in line waiting for food handouts.
Five people were shot during the fight, all of them Eritrean migrants between the ages of 16 and 18.
It was not initially clear who fired the shots, no arrests have been made.
The government has sent police reinforcements to the area
The fight was between Afghan and Eritrean migrants. Authorities said police intervened to "protect the Afghan migrants faced with 150 to 200 Eritrean migrants."
Humanitarian groups working in the area believe roughly 800 migrants remained in the area after the "Jungle" was demolished.
The migrants have camped in Calais in hopes of making their way to the UK by stowing rides on lorries passing through the port city.
Second fight at industrial site
The Calais prosecutor's office said at least 22 more people were injured after suffering "blows from iron bars" during a second fight that broke out at a nearby industrial site. Another person was injured in a road accident.
Last month, French President Emmanuel Macron said, during a speech in which he announced a new border security deal with the UK, "in no case will we allow another 'Jungle' here."
Why are migrants attempting to reach the UK from France: There are several reasons given by migrants for their attempts to reach British soil, but many of them hope to reunite with their communities in the UK.
What happens next: Under the new security border deal with the UK, London will pay France to increase security at Calais.