1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites
Türkei Angriff auf US-Konsulat in Istanbul
Image: picture-alliance/AA/B. Ozan

Turkey investigates attacks on police, US consulate

August 10, 2015

Turkey is reeling from multiple attacks that have left at least 8 people dead, including 5 police officers. The attacks were conducted by Kurdish separatist and Marxist groups, according to local media.


Two women on Monday carried out an attack on the US consulate in Istanbul, said the Istanbul governor's office.

One of the women was injured after exchanging fire with Turkish security forces.

Turkey's state-run news agency Anadolu said the police identified the woman as 42-year-old Hatice Asik, adding that she belonged to the outlawed leftist militant group Revolutionary People's Liberation Army-Front (DHKP-C).

No group initially claimed responsibility for Monday's attack.

However, in 2013, the DHKP-C claimed a suicide attack at the US embassy in Ankara that left one security guard dead.

Istanbul police station

Across the Bosphorus, a bomb blast ripped through an Istanbul police station early Monday morning, leaving three police officers and seven civilians injured, security sources said.

As police arrived at the scene of the attack, a firefight erupted claiming the lives of two assailants and a police officer, reported broadcaster CNN Turk.

The Istanbul governor's office said on Monday that the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) was behind the attack on the police station.

Restive Sirnak

In Turkey's restive southeastern province Sirnak, Kurdish militants killed at least four police officers in a roadside attack.

The attack occurred in the town Silopi, where Turkish security forces and PKK militants have been battling for days.

A feeble ceasefire between the Kurds and the Turkish government has fallen to the wayside after Turkey launched airstrikes against Kurdish and "Islamic State" positions in Iraq and Syria in July as part of its "synchronized war on terror."

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan in late July dismissed the peace process between Turkey and the PKK, saying "it is not possible for us to continue the peace process with those who threaten our national unity and brotherhood."

ls/rc (AP, AFP, Reuters)

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

A Ukrainian tank stuck in the mud

Ukraine counteroffensive: When will the mud season end?

Skip next section More stories from DW
Go to homepage