The far-right US Senate candidate has spoken out publicly for the first time since the accusations were published. He denied the allegations and suggested that he had information that would impugn his accusers.
During a speech in Alabama on Saturday, controversial US Senate candidate Roy Moore denied allegations that he sexually abused underage girls. He claimed that the allegations were a ploy to undermine his campaign, and hinted at the imminent release of information that would discredit his accusers.
"I have not provided alcoholic beverages, beer or anything else, to a minor," Moore said in his first public outing since the Washington Post published the allegations against him on Thursday.
"I have not been guilty of sexual misconduct with anyone," the Republican added, saying that it was "strange" that the four women who have accused him waited decades to come forward.
"In the next few days, there will be revelations about the motivations and the content of this article. They will be brought to the public. We fully expect the people of Alabama to see through this charade."
A right-wing populist, Moore defeated mainstream Republican candidate Luther Strange in the primary to run for the Senate seat vacated by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Moore claimed it was the "political agenda" of the Washington Post that prompted the publication of accusations that he plied underage girls with wine and beer in the 1970s, and molested one 14-year-old girl in 1979.
The hardline conservative is no stranger to controversy. He was twice suspended from his post on the Alabama Supreme Court – once for refusing to remove a statue of the Ten Commandments from the state courthouse, and a second time for refusing to recognize the US Supreme Court's ruling that legalized same-sex marriage.
In response to the allegations, US President Donald Trump told the press that he had been too busy on his 12-day tour of Asia to keep up with the news, but that he hoped Moore will "do the right thing" if the claims are true.
es/kl (AP, dpa)