The EU said on Tuesday that it will resume talks with Iran to hammer out a deal on the country's nuclear program. Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif says the final deal expected for June 30 is "moving forward."
Talks between the EU and Iran will begin on May 12 in Vienna with the US, Russia, China, France, Britain, and Germany joining three days later.
"Negotiators will continue their work on the drafting of the main text of a Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, based on the key understandings reached on April 2 in Lausanne and started last week in New York," the EU said.
"In the meantime, technical experts will continue their work on the drafting of the annexes to the main text," the EU added.
Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi confirmed the announcement in New York, where an Iranian team is taking part in talks on the sidelines of a UN disarmament summit.
EU negotiator Helga Schmid and her Iranian counterparts Araghchi and Madjid Takht Ravanchi will meet prior to the arrival of the G5+1.
A day before the announcement, Iran's chief negotiator, Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, said that the draft was "moving forward" in a tweet.
The announcement comes more than a month after the parties agreed on a June 30 deadline for an agreement. The final deal is expected to curb Iran's nuclear program by reducing its uranium stockpile and 19,000 centrifuges in exchange for Western powers lifting sanctions.
The agreement would leave Iran as a de facto nuclear threshold state for 10 years.
ls/bk (AFP, Reuters)