Karl Marx Monument
In 1953, East Germany renamed Chemnitz as Karl-Marx-Stadt (Karl Marx City). In 1971, 250,000 people watched as a more than seven-meter-tall stylized bronze Marx bust was erected in the center of the city. The inscription in the wall behind the bust reads, Workers of the World, Unite — in four languages. After reunification, the city's name reverted to Chemnitz, but the monument remained.