Kunduz scandal touches Merkel′s office | Germany| News and in-depth reporting from Berlin and beyond | DW | 25.03.2010
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages
Advertisement

Germany

Kunduz scandal touches Merkel's office

An e-mail was sent to Angela Merkel's office just hours after the German-ordered bombing of two oil tankers in Afghanistan, informing the chancellor's staff of 50 to 100 civilian casualties.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel

Merkel's office reportedly knew of civilian deaths almost immediately

Chancellor Angela Merkel's office reportedly knew that civilians had been killed in a German-ordered airstrike in Afghanistan just hours after the bombing. Newsweekly Der Spiegel reported Thursday that the German foreign intelligence service (BND) sent an e-mail describing the attack and the possible numbers killed.

"Many civilians were killed (numbers vary between 50 and 100)," the e-mail read.

A government spokesman described the e-mail as an "unconfirmed preliminary report." He said the e-mail has already been handed over, along with other related documents, to the parliamentary inquiry, and that all of these documents confirm Merkel's stance that civilian casualties were never ruled out.

Who knew what when?

While Merkel never claimed that civilians were not killed, it was days before she first spoke to parliament about the airstrike.

An Afghan soldier in front of the burned-out tanker after the airstrike

The civilian deaths and the government's response have stirred controvery in Germany

Much of the parliamentary inquiry is focused on who knew what about the bombing and when they knew it. Franz-Josef Jung, defense minister at the time of the airstrike, stepped down in November over an alleged cover-up of civilian deaths. He had originally said that no civilians had been killed.

A NATO report ultimately found that 142 civilians were killed in the bombing of the two oil tankers, which had been hijacked by Taliban insurgents but then got stuck crossing a river bed. The strike was ordered by a German colonel and carried out by NATO aircraft. The BND e-mail explained the high number of civilian casualties by saying that Afghan citizens had taken the "opportunity" to siphon off fuel for their own use.

Testifying to the parliamentary inquiry on Thursday, Jung once again denied that he had suppressed evidence.

The opposition in parliament has reserved the right to call Merkel as a witness in the inquiry, although no date has been set.

hf/AFP/apn
Editor: Ben Knight

DW recommends

Audios and videos on the topic