A six-month-old baby has been pulled from the rubble of a building that collapsed 80 hours before. Police have launched investigations into the building's owners as well as several officials for bypassing regulations.
Over three days after a residential block collapsed in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi, a baby girl was found alive in the debris, rescue workers announced on Tuesday.
"The child had been buried for about 80 hours, was found in a bucket wrapped in a blanket," said Anthony Mwangi from Kenya Red Cross. "She appeared dehydrated and had no visible physical injuries," he said.
She was brought to the hospital early on Tuesday morning and was reunited with her father, who identified her as Dealeryn Saisi Wasike. He called the quick recovery and rescue of his daughter "a miracle."
"I thank God for all that he has done to get my daughter alive after all those days in the rubble," said Ralsan Saisi Wasike, adding that he did not know the whereabouts of the girl's mother.
"I pray she is alive," he said.
On Friday, a six-story building collapsed due to heavy rainfall in Nairobi's Huruma neighborhood, leaving 23 people dead so far with another 93 missing. Emergency workers managed to rescue 140 people.
The Interior Ministry said the Huruma building was slated for demolition since it was built close to a river, but the order had not been carried out by local officials.
The two building owners and 21 officials from the county government were taken into custody following the disaster, and police have requested to hold them for three weeks while continuing the investigations against them.
A judge is set to rule on Wednesday whether or not the owners and officials will be granted bail.
Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta ordered an audit of all the country's buildings last year to see if they are up to code. The National Construction Authority found that 58 percent of buildings in the fast-growing city of Nairobi are not fit for habitation.
rs/jm (AP, AFP, dpa, Reuters)