English, (improving my German)
BSc (Hons) Sport Science, MA Creative Writing.
Arise TV, ITN, ITV News, ITV London News, BBC TV, LNN
BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio Oxford, BBC Radio Berkshire, BBC Radio WM, BBC Radio Bristol, BBC Shropshire, Red Rose Radio, BRMB
With DW since:
"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
My personal hero:
My radio hero was a local phone-in host in Manchester in northwest England called James H Reeve.
Why? Because he demonstrated a level of learning that most of us can only dream of, yet wore it lightly and was entertaining, humorous and could handle people well - even when they disagreed.
Because he's encyclopaedically knowledgeable, yet wears it lightly. When listeners would ring up to make some point about politics or history or whatever he was talking about, he would listen politely before telling them why they were utterly wrong - and do it by pulling examples from art, history, literature, politics - wherever - before finishing off his dissertation with some form of vulgar abuse, which the callers invariably loved!
What do I strive to be as a journalist?
7 things I particularly love about news
1. The excitement of working on a big, fast-moving news story.
2. Being able to ask people of the moment "Why?"
3. The feeling you get when you tell a complicated story well and clearly.
4. Being able to pick patterns out of events.
5. I love that the longer you live and the more you pay attention, the clearer these events become.
6. Juggling with the world – in a busy show, anything from European politics to domestic scandal to Nigerian election results.
7. The excitement of knowing that during any live interview that you’re only one question away from making a complete fool of yourself.
Follow me on Twitter #link:http://www.twitter.com/philgayle:@philgayle#