Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani will not be in Trump′s cabinet | News | DW | 09.12.2016
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani will not be in Trump's cabinet

The ex-mayor has withdrawn himself from consideration for a position in Donald Trump's incoming cabinet. Exxon Mobil Chief Executive Rex Tillerson is now the leading candidate for the secretary of state post.

Rudy Giuliani, the man who served as mayor of New York City during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, will not be part of US President-elect Donald Trump's cabinet.

Trump said Giuliani withdrew his name from consideration for any position during a meeting on November 29. "Rudy would have been an outstanding member of the cabinet in several roles, but I fully respect and understand his reasons for remaining in the private sector," said Trump in a statement.

Giuliani had been considered the favorite for the secretary of state post, and will continue to serve as vice chairman of the Trump Presidential Transition Team.

USA ExxonMobil CEO Rex W. Tillerson

ExxonMobil CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Instead, businessman Rex Tillerson emerged late on Friday as the leading candidate for the post of the US' top diplomat, the Reuters news agency reported.

Tillerson, who is the CEO of oil and gas giant Exxon Mobil, met Trump earlier in the week, and may talk to the US President-elect again over the weekend, a senior member of the transition team said.

The 64-year-old joined the company in 1975, rising through the ranks from engineer to the head of the company.

Trump has said he could make his decision on the secretary of state position next week, with former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and former CIA director David Petraeus among others being considered for the job.

kbd,mm/bw (AFP, AP, dpa, Reuters)

DW recommends

Advertisement