After a German magazine published an allegation, lawyers threatened to sue and police reopened an investigation, Cristiano Ronaldo has now personally declared his innocence. He has been left out of the Portugal squad.
Cristiano Ronaldo has used social media again to vehemently deny raping Kathryn Mayorga in 2009.
These tweets come after Ronaldo said the following on an Instagram live video on September 30: "Fake news. They want to promote by my name. It's normal," he said. "They want to be famous to say my name. But if it's part of the job, I'm a happy man and it's all good." The post was subsequently deleted.
German magazine Der Spiegel initially published Mayorga's accusation, stating the lawyer's case is based on a document containing Ronaldo's account of what happened on June 12, 2009. In it, Spiegel reported that the 33-year-old "said 'no' and 'stop' several times.
Lawyers for the Juventus forward responded by saying they would sue Der Spiegel, while Las Vegas police confirmed they had re-opened a case filed on that date, but did not identify the victim or the alleged perpetrator.
Ronaldo has been left out of the Portugal squad for the Nations League match in Poland on Oct. 11 and a friendly match in Scotland three days later. Coach Fernando Santos did not comment on whether the rape allegation was behind the decision but said it followed a three-way conversation between himself, Ronaldo and the Portuguese federation.
He also revealed Ronaldo would miss November's internationals. The 33-year-old had been rested for two Portugal matches last month with Santos saying he wanted to give him time to settle at new club Juventus.