Seven dead as bomb blast rocks southern Russian city | Europe| News and current affairs from around the continent | DW | 27.05.2010
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Europe

Seven dead as bomb blast rocks southern Russian city

A bomb blast has rocked a southern Russian city, claiming at least seven lives and hospitalizing dozens more. Emergency services say many victims remain in a critical condition.

Rescuers and investigators work at the site of an explosion outside a cultural center in the southern Russian city of Stavropol

Rescue Services worked throughout the night

At least seven people have been killed and dozens more critically injured in a bomb attack in the southern Russian of Stavropol. The blast struck a Chechen cultural center late Wednesday.

"Seven people are dead," a Stavropol Rescue Service official said. "Thirty three remain hospitalized."

The bomb was reportedly packed with steel pellets hidden in a juice carton. Officials said that many of those receiving treatment were in a critical condition.

Yekaterina Denilova, who works with the regional investigative committee, told news agency AFP that around 70 people have already been questioned in connection with the attack, for which no groups have so far claimed responsibility.

Stavropol is located on the northern rim of the Caucasus, in areas Russia has been battling a Muslim insurgency and terror attacks in Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan. However the city has rarely seen the sort of violence experience in other areas in the region.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has called the Caucasus unrest the worst domestic problem facing the country.

dfm/AFP/Reuters

Editor: Rob Turner

DW recommends

Advertisement