Former head of Brazilian Olympics committee charged | Sports| German football and major international sports news | DW | 18.10.2017
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Sports

Former head of Brazilian Olympics committee charged

The former head of Brazil's Olympic committee, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, has been arrested on allegations of vote buying in Rio's bid for the 2016 Games. The charges follow Nuzman's resignation last week.

Brazilian prosecutors charged the former head of the National Olympics Committee (COB), Carlos Nuzman, and five other people on Wednesday with corruption based on an investigation of alleged bribery to have Rio de Janeiro host the 2016 Games.

Nuzman, who is 75, was provisionally suspended by the International Olympic Committee and arrested in Rio on October 5 after being charged with racketeering, money laundering and violating currency laws.

The former governor of Rio de Janeiro state, Sergio Cabral, and former COB director Leonardo Gryner were also charged with corruption in connection with a $2 million payment to guarantee votes for Rio, the prosecutors' office said.

Nuzman, a former IOC member and now honorary member, is accused of arranging bribes to get the IOC to pick Rio as host of the 2016 Olympic Games. He has denied any wrongdoing.

Rio was awarded the Games in 2016 over Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid.

Nuzman resigned last week as head of the COB. In a letter to the committee he said he needed to devote himself to his legal defense and would not be returning.

mds/mp (Reuters, AP)

DW recommends

Advertisement