FBI releases identity of Washington Navy shooter | News | DW | 17.09.2013
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages


FBI releases identity of Washington Navy shooter

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has released the photo of the man behind a deadly shooting in Washington, D.C. Authorities have said the gunman acted alone.

A shooting at a high-security naval facility in Washington, D.C. left 13 people dead on Monday, including the gunman. Eight others were sent to the hospital, three of whom had suffered gun shot wounds, according to local police.

The FBI identified the perpetrator as Aaron Alexis, 34, (pictured) a former Navy reservist employed by "The Experts," a subcontractor of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Services, between 2007 and 2011. Police deployed to the scene shortly after 8:30a.m. (1430 UTC) killed Alexis in a shoot out.

On Monday evening, US authorities announced the end to a search for an alleged accomplice.

"We have the single and sole person responsible for the loss of life," D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier told a press conference.

The shooting occurred at the headquarters of Naval Sea Systems Command, which is part of the Navy Yard complex, the oldest military installation in the US. It lies roughly 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) from the Capitol building.

The FBI has said Alexis gained access to the facility through legitimate means.

Motive unclear

Information about Alexis from other states trickled in as authorities continued to search for clues that could lead them to a motive.

A former acquaintance described Alexis as a "nice man," while police information from two cities where he had previously resided pointed to a record of gun-related incidences.

In 2004, Seattle police arrested Alexis after he shot out the tires of another man's vehicle. He reportedly claimed to have blacked out during the incident, citing post-traumatic stress disorder from his participation in September 11 rescue efforts.

Police in Fort Worth, Texas - the perpetator's last known residence - arrested him in 2010 after a bullet from his gun shot into his neighbor's apartment. Local authorities later released him after determining he had accidentally discharged the weapon.

Most recently, Alexis had been registered as a student of an online university while working at the Happy Bowl Thai restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas, according to former coworkers and his father.

DC on high alert

The mood in Washington was tense after the shooting, with authorities locking down local schools and government buildings. All departures had been halted from Reagan National Airport for roughly 90 minutes on Monday morning.

An incident outside of the White House in the early evening prompted a security alert as authorities remained on the lookout for another attack. A man reportedly threw firecrackers over a fence onto the property and was subsequently arrested.

kms/jr (AP, AFP, Reuters)