Hong Kong is recovering after the worst storm in more than a decade left scores of people injured. Tens of thousands were evacuated in southern China as Typhoon Vincente made its way inland.
The storm that hit Hong Kong at midmorning on Tuesday was the strongest in 13 years and left more than 100 people injured, causing transport chaos.
A hurricane warning was issued as the typhoon passed close to within 100 kilometers (62 miles) of the Chinese territory, causing ferry, bus and train services to be suspended.
The Hong Kong stock exchange was shut down for the morning, but opened up again in the afternoon after an all-clear from the authorities.
Flights from the main airport, which had been suspended, returned to normal by early afternoon. Some 136 flights were reported to have been cancelled, delayed or diverted.
Although Vincente was later downgraded to a tropical storm, Chinese state media said that - even in its weakened condition - it could still pose a threat.
Authorities said more than 42,000 people were evacuated from the city of Maoming in the province of Guangdong. A statement said that preparations were underway to cope with "flash flood, mudslides, landslides and other disasters."
The Hong Kong government said 118 people were injured during the night, including 52 admitted to hospitals.
rc/tj (AFP, AP, dpa)