As a journalist, I strive to call attention to things that all too often remain concealed behind a façade. I like to take a close look at people and issues while creating connections between cultures.
German, English, Dari, Pashto, Italian, French
Bachelor’s degree in Social Science and Media Studies and Master’s degree in Media Studies from the University of Bonn. Previously worked for various national media outlets in Germany: WDR, ARD, ZDF and Süddeutsche Zeitung. Moderator for panel discussions and international conferences. Currently hosting a talkshow on and for refugees. Expert on Afghanistan and refugees.
With DW since:
“Be like the flower that gives its fragrance even to the hand that crushes it.” - Ali ibn Abu-Talib.
My personal hero:
What do I strive to be as a journalist?
I want to make a difference and tell the story on the other side of the coin. A journalist should give a voice to the voiceless, uncover what has been hidden and simplify the complicated. Most of all I want to connect with people who have a story to tell.
7 things that changed my life
1. War. As a child my family and I left our home country of Afghanistan for Germany and the experience changed my life forever.
2. Education. I consider myself lucky to have had the privilege to receive an education and follow my dreams – opportunities that many children in the world don’t have.
3. Racism. I have experienced racist remarks and unfair behavior since I came to Germany as a refugee. In the past years, I have seen Islamophobia on the rise in Europe and the US. With my work I try to shed light upon misconceptions of Muslims.
4. Family. I am the eldest child and my family means everything to me. I will never forget how my family started as asylum seekers with no money and no future. Today I am proud to see the success of my siblings and parents.
5. Culture. I often feel stuck between two cultures. I am not German to Germans and I am not Afghan to Afghans. However traveling to various other countries around the world has made me realize how connected I am to both cultures.
6. Love. I’m a hopeless romantic and I believe love is the solution for everything. As the famous Afghan poet Sufi Jalaluddin Rumi said: “To love is to reach God”.
7. Social Media. I truly believe in the power of Social Media as a platform to express your thoughts.
Follow me on Twitter @WasHasNaz