Security Council deadlock on Israeli airstrikes | News | DW | 15.11.2012
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages


Security Council deadlock on Israeli airstrikes

The UN Security Council has taken no action after holding an emergency session to discuss Israeli strikes in Gaza. The violence has claimed lives on both sides of the border.

Palestinians extinguish the fire after an Israeli air strike on a car in Gaza City November 14, 2012. An Israeli official said on Wednesday the assassination of Hamas's top commander in the Gaza Strip was not the end of Israel's assault on the coastal territory and more strikes would follow. Ahmed Al-Jaabari, Hamas's military chief, was killed when his car was hit by an Israeli airstrike. Multiple other Israeli attacks rocked the Gaza Strip. REUTERS/Ali Hassan (GAZA - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL UNREST)

Israelischer Luftangriff auf Gaza Stadt

Indian Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri, president of the 15-nation Security Council this month, told reporters after the 90-minute closed-door meeting that council members had only agreed to issue a statement that an emergency meeting took place and other procedural details.

Before the meeting took place UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had released statements saying that he had spoken on the telephone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi.

Watch video 01:25

Israeli airstrikes on Gaza

US President Barack Obama also spoke to the two leaders and called for a de-escalation of violence in Gaza. Obama reiterated with both leaders that Israel had the right to self-defense and also called on Netanyahu to try to avoid civilian casualties in reprisal strikes.

Border tension grows

Wednesday's airstrike targeted and killed top Hamas military commander Ahmed Jabari in Gaza City, and killed a second person who was a passenger in his car. It was the first of over 20 airstrikes to hit the Gaza Strip, which have killed up to eight people and wounded at least 30 in total.

Media in Israel early on Thursday also reported the first Israeli fatalities since the air assault on the Gaza Strip was launched, saying three people were killed when a rocket fired from Gaza hit an apartment building in the southern Israeli town of Kiryat Malahi.

An Israeli police spokesperson told AFP news agency that four people were also injured in the attack on the town, which lies 30 kilometers (18 miles) north of the Gaza Strip.

In a televised address, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu implied that more Israeli attacks could be on the horizon.

"Today we sent a clear message to Hamas and other terrorist organizations, and if it becomes necessary we are prepared to expand the operation," Netanyahu said.

The attack on Jabari sparked an immediate response from Palestinians in Gaza City. A spokesman from Hamas said the attack on Jabari had "opened the gates of hell."

Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas released a statement through the official WAFA news agency condemning Wednesday's attack.

Increased attacks in recent days from the Gaza Strip on Israel prompted Wednesday's response, and comments from the Israeli military indicated the use of ground forces was not off the table if the violence continued.

hc/lw (Reuters, AFP, AP)

Audios and videos on the topic