Take a look at the beta version of dw.com. We're not done yet! Your opinion can help us make it better.
The British market research institute Euromonitor has determined which cities counted the most visitors in 2017. With 27.9 million visitors, Hong Kong once again achieved 1st place, Bangkok 2nd place, London 3rd place.
Asian cities dominate the top positions. Of the European cities, only London and Paris made it into the top ten most visited cities in the world. The French capital recorded growth of 13.7 percent over the previous year. Amsterdam ranked 23rd, Vienna 34th and Berlin 36th.
1. Hong Kong (27.9 million visitors)
2. Bangkok (22.5 million visitors)
3. London (19.8 million visitors)
4. Singapore (17.6 million visitors)
5. Macau (17.3 million visitors)
6. Paris (15.8 million visitors)
7. Dubai (15.8 million visitors)
8. New York City (13.1 million visitors)
9. Kuala Lumpur (12.8 million visitors)
10. Shenzhen (12.1 million visitors)
Source: Euromonitor International
India Gate in New Delhi
A remarkable increase of 36.4 percent pushed the Indian metropolis of Delhi to 13th place with 10.1 million visitors.
The German capital Berlin only reached 36th place with 5.6 million visitors, Munich with 3.8 million visitors occupies 56th place and Frankfurt 83rd place with 2.5 million visitors.
For the analysis, the British market research institute Euromonitor International examined visitor numbers from more than 600 cities in 2017. International arrivals were counted, i.e. people who travelled from abroad to a particular city - whether for private or professional reasons.