Officials are now investigating Prince's death on April 21, 2016, as a possible drug overdose. The pop star's death took fans and many of his closest friends by surprise.
US media reported this week that prescription opioid medication was found on the pop star and that authorities were investigating possible links to a doctor who might have prescribed those drugs to him shortly before he died.
The flamboyant singer - known for classic '80s songs like "1999," "Purple Rain" and "Little Red Corvette" - was found dead in his Minneapolis home by authorities last week. He was 57 years old.
News of Prince's death shocked the world, and many of his friends expressed disbelief that he could have died from drugs. Shortly after his passing, Prince's lawyer told reporters that the singer lived a clean and healthy lifestyle.
Authorities told The Associated Press they were looking for a doctor who might have been with Prince when the singer fell unconscious while on a plane earler in April. They said they are looking into whether or not Prince had overdosed on the plane and later overdosed when he died in his home.
An autopsy has been conducted on the star's body, but the results won't be released for several weeks.
blc/gsw (AP, AFP)