Montenegro shooting leaves at least 11 dead | News | DW | 12.08.2022

Visit the new DW website

Take a look at the beta version of dw.com. We're not done yet! Your opinion can help us make it better.

  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages
Advertisement

News

Montenegro shooting leaves at least 11 dead

In Montenegro, a man went on a shooting rampage after a family dispute, killing 11 people. The shooter was later killed after firing at police officers.

Cetinje

Cetinje is the old royal capital of Montenegro

At least 11 people were killed during a mass shooting in Montenegro's central city of Cetinje on Friday, the country's public broadcaster said. The city is 36 kilometers (22 miles) west of Podogrica, the capital of the small Balkan nation.

Montenegro's public broadcaster RTCG also said that six people were wounded, including a member of the police.

RTCG, quoting witnesses, said the violence started while the attacker was arguing with his family members. The man then started randomly shooting at people walking in the street, including children. He was eventually killed after firing at police officers, the broadcaster reported.

According to unofficial information from RTCG, the attacker was identified as 34-year-old Vuk B.

Four of the wounded were transferred to a hospital in Cetinje while two others with serious wounds were sent to the Clinical Center in Podgorica.

According to the local newspaper Pobjeda, at least ten people were injured.

Police still have not issued an official statement about the attack. However a police officer who spoke on the condition of anonymity confirmed the number of people killed to the AFP news agency.

Montenegrin Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic wrote on his Telegram channel that there had been "an unprecedented tragedy" in Cetinje, calling on the nation "to be, in their thoughts, with the families of the innocent victims, their relatives, friends and all the people of Cetinje."

dh/dj (AP, AFP)