Borussia Dortmund have confirmed that Mario Götze will not return to action this season. The attacking midfielder has been out with a metabolic disorder since late last month.
The Bundesliga club announced in a statement posted on the club's webste on Wednesday that the 24-year-old national team player would miss the rest of the season as he continues to receive medical treatment for a metabolic disorder that has been causing him muscle problems.
"The long term target for the player is to be fully fit and ready to play for the start of next season," the club said. "If he responds positively to treatment, Götze can start back training in early summer. The midfield player is currently undergoing rehab and an individual training program."
The club had pulled Götze out of training on February 27, shortly after his "metabolic disturbances" were diagnosed.
Götze, who had left the club where he played his youth football for Bayern Munich in 2013, returned to Dortmund in the summer transfer window. However, while he managed to make 16 appearances in all competitions prior to his diagnosis, he suffered repeated setbacks due to injury and struggled for form. Despite this, the club have made it clear that Götze remains part of their longer-term plans.
"We are glad that we now know the reasons for Mario's problems and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities," Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said shortly after Götze stopped training with the team.
Dortmund are through to the quarterfinals of the Champions League and the semifinals of the German Cup. The Bundesliga's third-placed team host second-from-bottom Ingolstadt on Friday.