Ahmad Khan Rahimi, the man accused of injuring 30 people in September bomb attacks in New York has been indicted. Federal prosecutors in Manhattan added new charges that could end in a mandatory life sentence.
The 28-year old (pictured above) was charged in an indictment filed in Manhattan federal court with eight counts, including using a weapon of mass destruction in an explosion in the city's Chelsea district, which shattered windows hundreds of yards away and propelled a 100-pound (24-kilogram) dumpster over 120 feet (36 meters.)
"Now indicted by a grand jury, Rahimi will face justice in a federal court for his alleged violent acts of terrorism," Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
The Afghan-born naturalized US citizen is scheduled to be arraigned on the indictment on Thursday afternoon where he is scheduled to enter a plea. One of his lawyers - Assistant Federal Defender Sabrina Shroff - said last week that he will plead not guilty to any federal indictment.
The indictment includes no new factual allegations, but the two counts accusing Rahimi of using a destructive device "during and in furtherance of a crime" are charges that carry potential mandatory life prison terms.
He also faces the potential for a mandatory life prison sentence in a case brought against him in Union County, New Jersey.
Prosecutors argue that the attacks on September 17 came hours after Rahimi planted a pipe bomb that went off as charity road race was taking place along the New Jersey shore. No-one was injured in the blast.
Prosecutors also accuse Rahimi of planting another pressure-cooker bomb in Chelsea that did not go off and leaving several devices at a train station in Elizabeth in New Jersey, the defendant's home town.
He has been held without bail since his arrest two days after the bombing following a gunfight with police, who later found him sleeping in the doorway of a bar in Linden, New Jersey.
jbh/bw (Reuters, AP)