Feisty Frankfurt hold Dortmund to dramatic draw | Sports| German football and major international sports news | DW | 25.09.2012
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages


Feisty Frankfurt hold Dortmund to dramatic draw

Defending champs Dortmund continue to show vulnerability, twice surrendering a lead in a thrilling 3-3 against surprisingly strong Frankfurt. Elsewhere, Bayern, Schalke and Düsseldorf all racked up easy wins.

The roles were reversed in Frankfurt, with the newly promoted hosts, off to a perfect start, leading the defending champs by five points in the table. Meanwhile, Dortmund were trying to rebound from their first Bundesliga defeat in a year last weekend, a result that ended their undefeated streak at 31.

Dortmund came out as though they were hopping mad about their first taste of league defeat since September 2011. Lukas Piszczek put the visitors ahead in minute 25 with a deflected shot.

The men in yellow and black were swarming like bees, and Marco Reus doubled Dortmund's lead just three minutes later.

Frankfurt were able to regroup in the dressing room, though, and wiped out Dortmund's lead within the first six minutes of the restart. Christian Eigler caught out the visitors on a counter, and Takashi Inui headed in one minute later.

But Dortmund rebounded. Mario Götze, who only got into the game at the break as a substitute, danced through the Frankfurt defense in minute 53 and nutmegged the keeper.

Frankfurt refused to die, however, and in the 73rd minute, Anderson knotted things again, heading in a cross from a cleverly executed corner. Again Dortmund's central defenders failed to close down the scorer.

And 3-3 it ended. Frankfurt's unblemished season record is history, but they'll be proud of the point they earned against Dortmund. The defending champs will be ruing what might have been – and the growing distance between them and Bayern in the standings.

Bayern beat Wolfsburg

Mario Mandzukic celebrates the second goal

Mandzukic (left) put two past his former team

Bayern also had a perfect record, topped the table and were massive favorites at home against Wolfsburg. But Wolves coach Felix Magath won two doubles with Munich and is always a stickler for defensive discipline.

It didn't help. The Bavarians swarmed all over the visitors right from the start, maintaining over 80 percent of possession. Bastian Schweinsteiger hit the post twice in the first twenty minutes, before latching on to a Franck Ribery cross to open the scoring.

Wolfsburg were very fortunate only to be down by one at the interval with Bayern creating chances at will.

Bayern put the game to bed in minute 56. Xherdan Shaqiri, making a rare start in midfield, bullied his way past a host of hapless Wolves defenders and put in a perfect cross for ex-Wolfsburger Mario Mandzukic.

Roughly ten minutes later Mandzukic headed home again – this time the cross came from Philipp Lahm. The easier than easy 3-0 win preserved Bayern perfect season and kept them a top of the table.

Schalke slam Mainz

Schalke's Peruvian striker Jefferson Farfan celebrates with midfielder Lewis Holtby

Farfan (left) and Holtby both got on the scoresheet

Third-place Schalke were badly beaten last Tuesday by Bayern, while Mainz came into town buoyed by their first win of the season in round 5.

After some initial hesitancy, Schalke gradually settled in and grabbed the lead in minute 20. Junior Diaz tripped up Benedikt Höwedes in the box. Jefferson Farfan converted.

After that, the Royal Blues turned perilously passive, and by the second half, Schalke fans were booing their team for lack of offensive enterprise.

Luckily for them, Mainz couldn't generate any pressure either. Lewis Holtby's header ten minutes from time and Teemu Pukki's late tap-in were enough to seal a comfy 3-0 win.

Düsseldorf down Fürth

Ken Ilsö of Duesseldorf scores his team's second goal

Ilsö put the match away for Fortuna

Greuther Fürth versus Fortuna Düsseldorf featured two newly promoted teams going head-to-head.

And while hosts Fürth enjoyed a slight advantage in possession, Düsseldorf did all the early scoring. Oliver Fink headed the visitors into the lead in minute 26.

Ken Ilsö also found the back of the net eight minutes later. 2-0 was the score at half-time, with Fürth not looking up to the task of first-division football.

In the second half Fortress Düsseldorf battened down the hatches and ran out winners. Düsseldorf remain the only team in a major European first division that have yet to concede a goal.

And that's left the newly promoted team temporarily in fourth place in the table – ahead of champs Dortmund.

DW recommends