Take a look at the beta version of dw.com. We're not done yet! Your opinion can help us make it better.
Authorities in Belgium have charged a man with terror offenses over the deadly March 2016 suicide bombings in Brussels. The announcement comes after a day of counter-terrorism raids in which several people were detained.
A 39-year-old man was arrested on terrorism charges linked to last year's suicide attacks in Brussels, Belgian prosecutors said on Wednesday.
The Belgian national, identified as Brahim T., is due to appear in court for a pre-trial hearing within five days, the Federal Prosecutor's Office said.
"He is charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group, terrorist murders and attempted terrorist murders, as a perpetrator, co-perpetrator or accomplice," the office said in a statement.
Authorities did not provide additional details about the man's alleged ties to the suicide bombers who killed 32 people in attacks at Brussels' international airport and a metro station near the European Parliament.
The announcement comes one day after Belgian media reported that around a dozen counter-terrorism raids were carried out by police in Brussels, resulting in four arrests.
Several detained after anti-terror raids
One of the raids was reported to have taken place at a shop in the Belgian capital where materials for the bombs were possibly purchased.
Prior to Wednesday's arrest, nine people had been charged over the attacks.
Two men named Najim Laachraoui and Ibrahim Bakraoui blew themselves up at a departure hall in Brussels Airport on March 22 last year. A short time later, Ibrahim's brother Khalid bombed Maalbeek metro station.
Mohamed Abrini, known as the "Man in the Hat" from security footage, failed to detonate his bomb at the airport and fled. Osama Krayem, who was spotted carrying a huge backpack at a metro station, also failed to follow through with his attack.
Both Abrini and Krayem were arrested in Brussels last April.
rs/sms (AP, AFP)