Real Madrid has failed to snatch Mesut Oezil away from Werder Bremen - to the player's own disappointment. Werder Bremen says it won't consider selling off the 21-year-old midfield star for less than 15 million euros.
Oezil's own hopes to join Real have been dashed - for now
German soccer team Werder Bremen has rejected an offer from Real Madrid to sign midfielder Mesut Oezil.
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho told reporters Friday that he was disappointed Bremen had turned down his bid.
"He's a great player and I'd be happy if he came to us but his coach said no," Mourinho said.
Bremen chairman Klaus Allofs confirmed Saturday that the Bundesliga club had received and rejected an offer for its 21-year-old star player.
"Real made an offer which was fully unacceptable and the matter is therefore over," Allofs told Sky television.
Bids must start at 15 million euros
German media have reported that Bremen would demand at least 15 million euros ($19 million) for Oezil, who has another year left on his contract.
Real Madrid - which recently signed German midfielder Sami Khedira - was the first football club to make an official bid for Oezil, whose stellar performance this summer at the South Africa World Cup has also attracted the attention of such major teams as Arsenal and Manchester United.
Oezil, who joined Werder Bremen in January 2008 for 4.25 million euros, said he was disappointed the offer had been turned down.
"When you get an offer like that you want to accept it," he told Sky. "It's every footballer's dream to play for Europe's biggest clubs."
Author: David Levitz (AFP/dpa/Reuters)
Editor: Kyle James