Turkey's state-run news agency has announced that a military operation has resulted in the deaths of 23 insurgents. Turkey's prime minister has vowed to intensify operations against Kurdish militants.
Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency reported that a total of 23 Kurdish rebel fighters had been killed near the Syrian and Iraqi borders over the past two days duringsecurity operations
in the southeast of the country. Anadolu said the insurgents were associated with the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
Pro-Kurdish media reported on Wednesday that an 11-year-old boy had also been killed during the operation, which could not be independently verified.
The beleaguered town of Cizre
The conflict between Kurdish PKK rebels and the Turkish government has been raging on for more than 30 years.
Curfews were imposed in the towns of Silopi and Cizre in the province of Sirnak where the military operations continued to unfold.
The town of Cizre had previously been placed undera curfew for over a week in September
that was followed by an all-out siege, during which the Turkish military dropped 80 bombs on targets in and around the area. The September operation had led tointernational criticism
amid reports of civilian deaths.
Renewed fighting between the PKK and Turkish government forces has led to hundreds of deaths since Turkey started its campaign against insurgents in July following the collapse of a ceasefire agreement between the government and the PKK.
The Turkish government said it planned to deploy another 10,000 security personnel to the region. Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu vowed that the operations would continue "neighborhood by neighborhood, house by house and street by street."
The conflict between the PKK and Ankara has killed more than 40,000 people since 1984.
ss/sms (AP, Reuters, AFP, dpa)