1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Business

TransCanada renews application to build Keystone XL pipeline

The company's chief executive has claimed the project will create "tens of thousands of well-paying jobs." But protesters have taken to the streets, demanding the project be scrapped over environmental concerns.

Canadian pipeline operator TransCanada on Thursday announced it submitted a new application to the US State Department to build the Keystone XL pipeline, a controversial project to transport crude from Alberta to Texas refineries.

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday issued an executive order giving a conditional go-ahead to the project derailed by his predecessor Barack Obama in 2015.

"This privately funded infrastructure project will help meet America's growing energy needs as well as create tens of thousands of well-paying jobs," TransCanada CEO Russ Girling said in a statement.

The company said the project would contribute $3.4 billion (3.18 billion euros) to the US economy.

Trump told Republicans on Thursday that the pipeline's construction will be constructed using American steel and fabricated in the US.

"We're going to make that pipe right here," Trump said.

TransCanada spokesman Terry Cunha said they know the US commerce secretary will devise a plan that serves the interests of the involved parties.

"We will need time to review and analyze the plan when it is released to determine its impact to KXL," Cunha told AP news agency.

Earlier this week, protesters took to the streets across the nation to demonstrate against Trump's executive order, arguing that the pipeline's construction undermines efforts to fight climate change.

The pipeline is expected to move approximately 800,000 barrels of oil from the Albert oil sands to the US Gulf Coast.

Watch video 01:30

Protesters battle US decision to revive pipeline

ls/bw (AP, AFP, dpa)

Audios and videos on the topic