At least 17 people, mostly Lebanese soldiers, were killed when an explosion hit a bus in the northern port city of Tripoli, Lebanese security sources said.
The bomb may have targeted soldiers
Lebanese President Michel Suleiman condemned the attack, which went of amid rush-hour traffic on the morning of Wednesday, Aug. 13.
Ahead of an historic trip to Syria to re-establish diplomatic ties, Suleiman said the Lebanese security forces "will not bow to terrorist threats."
"Twelve people were killed, including nine Lebanese soldiers and a child," an official at the scene told AFP news service.
No responsibility claim
The bomb appeared to target a bus travelling in peak hour traffic. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The area around the explosion was cordoned off and only Lebanese Army officials were allowed into the area.
Last year, Tripoli was the scene of bloody fighting between the military and Sunni Muslim extremists at a Palestinian refugee camp.
The blast came a day after the new national unity cabinet, headed by Western-backed Premier Fouad Seniora, gained a vote of confidence in parliament.