A NATO supply compound in Kabul has been targeted by Taliban militants. At least five guards and two civilians were killed in a suicide bombing and gunfight, police have said.
A suicide bomber rammed a large truck into the gate of a compound used by a foreign NATO supply company Tuesday. The powerful blast left a deep crater and occurred at 4:30 a.m. (00:00 GMT), Kabul provincial police chief Ayuob Salangi told the Associated Press news agency.
"A suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden truck into the gate of the company, while three others launched an attack with assault weapons on the guards of the company," Salangi said.
Two truck drivers who were waiting to enter the compound were killed in the initial blast, while five guards were killed in the ensuing gunfight, Salangi said. Four of the guards killed were reportedly Nepalese contractors.
Police said the attack targeted a transport logistics company working with international forces.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
Tuesday's attack was the latest high-profile assault by the Taliban in Kabul. Last week, Taliban fighters attacked buildings near the palace of Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai.
Violence in the city has been on the rise as most foreign combat troops prepare to withdraw from the country, a process expected to be over by the end of 2014. In June, the NATO coalition formally handed over all security operations in the country to Afghan forces.
The Interior Ministry said Monday that 299 Afghan local and national police had been killed and 618 wounded in one month. Spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told reporters that 180 civilians were also killed in that period, along with 753 militants.
dr/hc (AP, AFP, Reuters, dpa)