This recipe comes to us from Josef Fehrenbach, the owner and head chef at the Waldhotel Fehrenbach in the Black Forest town of Hinterzarten.
Smoked Char with
Black Forest Potato Salad
· fresh char or other trout
· wood shavings, or beech wood pellets, and dried pine twigs
· fresh herb mixture, for example: spignel, thyme, flat-leafed parsley, dill
· herbal salt, freshly ground pepper, cane sugar, olive oil, dry white wine, herbal liqueur
· 400 g potatoes boiled with their skins on and then peeled
· 1 medium onion finely diced
· 300 ml of chicken or beef stock
· 50 ml elderberry-apple vinegar or cloudy apple vinegar
· 100 g mixed herbs, for example: dandelion leaves, arugula (rucola), flat-leafed parsley, English plantain, sorrel
· 1 tbsp wild honey
· fresh berries
· herbal liqueur, white wine
· herb salt, freshly ground pepper, freshly ground nutmeg
· 70 g fig mustard (or other sweet mustard)
· 40 g standard mustard
· dash of red wine vinegar
· 0.2 l water
· 0.2 l sunflower oil
· seasoned salt and pepper
Place stainless steel pot with beech wood pellets or shavings and dried pine twigs on medium heat.
Stuff cleaned char with herbs.
Place char on aluminum foil. Season the char with salt and pepper, add a sprinkle of sugar and brush with olive oil, a dash of white wine and a dash of herbal liqueur. Place fish on the foil in the pot and don't close the foil package. Allow the char to smoke 12-20 minutes depending on size.
Remove herb mixture from char, filet and season again.
Finely slice the boiled, peeled potatoes.
Sautee onions in olive oil. Add stock. Top off with wild honey, a few drops of herbal liqueur and white wine, herb salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Cover potatoes with hot stock and elderberry apple vinegar.
Wash and finely chop herbs. Add to salad dressing. Add to sliced potatoes and carefully mix. Garnish with fresh berries.
Place all ingredients in blender and thoroughly mix.
Then just arrange the fish with the potato salad, and allow to cool slightly before serving.