1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

Saudi billionaire prince in social media rant at US candidate Donald Trump

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has called for Donald Trump to pull out of the US presidential race after his incendiary comments about Muslims. Prince Alwaleed called the businessman 'a disgrace.'

Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has

joined the international condemnation of billionaire Donald Trump,

following his call for Muslims to be banned from entering the US.

Prince Alwaleed, the chairman of Kingdom Holding, tweeted late on Friday, saying that Trump was "a disgrace not only to the GOP (Republican Party) but to all America."

The Saudi businessman then told Trump to "withdraw from the US presidential race as you will never win."

Trump, former star of the TV series, The Apprentice - who is now the frontrunner for the Republican nomination - called earlier this week for a temporary but

complete ban on Muslims from entering the country

until authorities can work out Muslim attitudes to the US.

The comments were made days after a mass shooting by a Muslim couple in San Bernardino, California, which left 14 people dead.

The remarks were quickly denounced by the White House and several world and religious leaders.

Alwaleed is a devout but moderate Muslim. He is the owner of Kingdom Holding Co, which has interests in the US banking giant Citigroup.

Business empire at risk?

Several media reports have suggested that Trump is likely to lose a fortune as Muslim business partners begin to boycott his company's products.

In Dubai, Trump's name has been torn down from advertising billboard at a golf course and luxury housing development. Some reports suggest his deal with Gulf-based Damac Properties to license his name and image is at risk.

Earlier this week, Dubai-based Landmark Group pulled all Trump home decor products at its 180 Lifestyle stores over his comments.

The company behind the Trump Towers in Istanbul, meanwhile, said it was "assessing" its partnership with the US billionaire and said it "regrets and condemns" his comments.

In the UK, a

petition to press the government to ban Trump from entering Britain

has garnered nearly 550,000 signatures.

Earlier in the year, Trump faced similar ire over his comments about

immigration from Mexico.

mm/jm (AFP, AP)

DW recommends