1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Asia

Philippine hostage crisis comes to a bloody end

After a bus was taken hostage in the Philippine capital, at least seven Chinese tourists from Hong Kong seem to have been killed and the gunman too. Several more were injured.

The bus was carrying tourists from Hong Kong

The bus was carrying tourists from Hong Kong

After hours of deliberation, the Manila police finally entered a bus, whose passengers had been taken hostage by a gunman. The gunman had already released nine people but had kept 15 with him. There were reportedly 20 tourists and their travel guide from Hong Kong and four Filipinos in the bus when it was hijacked.

The gunman allowed six passengers, including three children, to leave the bus as "gifts" to negotiators, officials said.

Nine tourists were released from the bus before the police stormed it after the gunman opened fire

Nine tourists were released from the bus before the police stormed it after the gunman opened fire

The driver was later able to escape when the gunman opened fire on those remaining in the bus. This is when the police decided to try and enter the bus via a back door.

Officials said that the hostage taker, identified as the 55-year-old Rolando Del Rosario Mendoza, was a former senior policeman who was armed with an M16 rifle and was apparently trying to get his job back after being sacked.

Hong Kong issued a travel warning on Monday. "A serious kidnap incident happened in the Philippines. Hong Kong residents should avoid all travel to the country," a government spokesman said in a statement.

act / AFP / AP
Editor: Disha Uppal

DW recommends