1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

Nigerian students slain in suspected Boko Haram attack

Gunmen have killed dozens of secondary school students and staff during a nighttime attack in Nigeria's northeast region. Authorities suspect Boko Haram Islamists.

Attackers hurled explosives and sprayed gunfire on school students in the town of Buni Yadi in Nigeria's Yobe state early on Tuesday, killing at least 29 students. The attackers fled, reportedly before the local military had time to arrive.

Yobe is one of several regions hardest hit by a

four-year uprising

by the Islamists whose name translates as "Western education is forbidden."

A medical source at Yobe's regional hospital in Damaturu told the AFP news agency that the assailants only targeted male students. Female students were "spared."

The military was forced to take control of a morgue where relatives had massed, desperately seeking information about those killed.

Latest in series of attacks

Last September, at least 40 students were killed at an agriculture training college in Yobe when Boko Haram gunmen stormed dormitories.

The governors of Yobe and the neighboring state of Borno recently criticized the Nigerian military's efforts against Boko Haram, insisting that

more resources were needed.

Last week in a video, the militia's purported leader Abubakar Shekau said his group would press its campaign against anyone who supports democracy or Western values.

ipj/dr (AFP,dpa)

DW recommends