1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Sports

Italy's Antonio Conte cleared of failing to report match-fixing

Ahead of Euro 2016 and a job at Premier League title challengers Chelsea, Italy's Antonio Conte can now breathe easy again after a fast-track trial cleared his name.

Italy coach Antonio Conte has been cleared of accusations of sporting fraud after a fast-track trial on Monday. Prosecutor Roberto Di Martino requested a suspended six-month sentence for the future Chelsea head coach, as well as a fine of 8,000 euros ($9,000). Conte's longtime assistant, Angelo Alessio, has also been cleared.

"It is with great joy that I learned of the acquittal of Antonio Conte by the Cremona court today," Italian soccer federation president Carlo Tavecchio said. "Finally his position has been clarified. My faith in him has never been in question. Now we are all even more focused on the Euros."

Conte, who has already served a four-month ban in connection to the affair, had been accused of not reporting an episode of match-fixing relating to a Serie B match when he was coach of Siena. The 46-year-old former Juventus coach has always denied any wrongdoing in a scandal which saw players allegedly colluding with underworld figures to pre-determine games and recoup the rewards of an illegal betting network.

The affair, however, has yet to reach its conclusion and the report said "up to 90" people are involved although Signori, Cristiano Doni, Gigi Sartor and Mauro Bressan -- all former Serie A players -- as well as current Lazio captain Stefano Mauri, are all in the dock facing accusations of transnational sporting fraud.

Conte is now free to lead Italy at Euro 2016 before becoming Chelsea's head coach following the tournament's conclusion on July 10.

jh/es (AP, AFP)