1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Sports

Ilkay Gündogan signs new Borussia Dortmund deal

Having declared he would leave the club back in April, Ilkay Gündogan has now changed his mind, signing a one-year contract extension with Borussia Dortmund. His new deal runs to 2017.

Ilkay Gündogan has extended his contract with Borussia Dortmund until 2017, the club confirmed on Wednesday.

"I am glad that we finally have clarity and I can continue playing for Borussia Dortmund," Gündogan told the club's website. Borussia Dortmund's players returned for pre-season training this week and Gündogan stated that it had been a lot of fun to be back with his teammates.

"I'm now directing my focus entirley onto preparations for August, so that we can attack fully once again," he continued.

Gündogan, 24, had announced back in April that he would not sign a new deal and would consequently leave the club. Having announced to his Facebook fans that a decision on his future would come after Germany's European Championship qualifier against Gibraltar, his agent and uncle, Ilhan Gündogan, stated on June 23 that the German international

clearly had an option to stay

.

Gündogan was heavily linked with moves to Barcelona, Manchester United and Paris-Saint Germain having stated that he would leave the Bundesliga club, but no move away could be agreed.

"We are pleased that Ilkay will continue to play for Borussia Dortmund," said BVB Sporting Director Michael Zorc. "I am convinced that he will play a crucial part in the club reaching its sporting goals."

Gündogan has featured in 80 Bundesliga games for BVB, after joining from Nürnberg back in 2011. He has also made 11 appearances for the German national team.

DW recommends