1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

France PM Valls announces latest Paris attacks casualty

The death toll from last week's attacks in Paris has risen to 130. EU leaders are seeking new measures to counter extremism in the wake of the attacks.

On Friday, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said the death toll from

last week's attacks in Paris

had risen to 130 after one of the more than 350 people wounded succumbed to injuries.

Working in teams, the assailants started their attacks outside the national stadium during the evening of November 13 and then started firing on Paris cafes a few minutes later, ultimately storming a concert hall where scores died.

The gunmen "killed mercilessly, destroying 130 lives," Valls told France's Senate on Friday, with an aide confirming that the toll had risen after one of the injured died in hospital.

French artists and cultural figures have called for people to mark a week since the start of the attacks with an outpouring of "noise and light" on Friday. The call has spread via Twitter with the hashtag #21h20, standard time for 9:20 p.m., the minute that the attacks began.

Citing security concerns, organizers have canceled a demonstration planned for Friday at France's oldest mosque to show intercommunity solidarity after the attacks.

Raids and arrests

Police have conducted 793 raids since the attacks, according to the Interior Ministry. On Thursday alone, police reported performing 182 raids, detaining 17 people and seizing 76 weapons, plus drugs.

After five nights of raids, authorities say police have detained 90 people, placed 164 under house arrest seized 174 weapons - including 18 military-style firearms, 84 rifles and 68 handguns - and confiscated 250,000 euros ($267,000).

Neighboring Belgium continues to hold two of nine people detained Thursday during a spate of raids possibly connected to the attacks.

mkg/jm (Reuters, AFP, dpa, AP)

DW recommends

Audios and videos on the topic