1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

Europe

Courts Prepare for London Bomb Suspects

After being charged with a number of offences ranging from murder to the possession of explosives, the main suspects in the failed July 21 bombings in London go before the British judicial system on Monday.

default

Three of the July 21 suspects will appear in British courts on Monday

The prime suspects behind failed July 21 bomb attacks on London were due to appear in court on Monday, as a key suspect in the more deadly blasts two weeks earlier was deported to Britain from Zambia.


Scotland Yard said late Sunday it had charged three men, including two of the suspected July 21 bombers, with attempted murder, conspiracy to murder and possession of explosives, after charging a first suspect on Saturday.


The new charges mean that all the key suspects in the failed attacks have now been charged: three in Britain plus Hamdi Issac, also known as Hussain Osman, who has been indicted in Italy and is awaiting extradition proceedings.


Mokhtar Said Ibrahim, 27, suspected of trying to detonate a bomb on a Number 26 bus, and Ramzi Mohammed, suspected of trying to blow up an Underground train at Oval station, were charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to murder, Scotland Yard said.


Videobild vom Attentäter, Yasin Hassan Omar, von der Warren Street

A day earlier Somali-born Yassin Hassan Omar, 24, was charged with attempted murder, conspiracy and possession of explosives over the attempt to bomb the Underground station at Warren Street in central London.


All are to appear before a judge in a high security prison on Monday over the bombings which gave the British capital its first taste of violent Islamist extremism blamed by many on Britain's military presence in Iraq.


Fourth July 21 suspect held in Rome

Isaac, the only key suspect not yet behind bars in Britain, has been held in Rome's Regina Coeli prison since his arrest on July 29, several days after he fled Britain by Eurostar train.


Verdächtiger in Italien Verhaftet

The 27-year-old Ethiopian-born Briton, who has a hearing scheduled for August 17, has been charged in Italy with "international terrorism" in connection with a failed attack on the Shepherd's Bush Tube station.

Two other men were charged in connection with the failed bomb attacks over the weekend.

Siraj Yassin Abdullah Ali, 30, and Wharbi Mohammed, 22, were charged with assisting a person or persons in evading arrest in connection with the July 21 attacks.

Three other men -- Shadi Abdel Gadir, 22, Omar Nagmeloin Almagboul, 20, and Mohamed Kabashiwere, 23 -- appeared at a London court on Saturday charged with failing to disclose information in connection with the attacks.

British al Qaeda suspect back in UK from Zambia

Meanwhile, Haroon Rashid Aswat -- the al Qaeda suspect arrested in Lusaka, Zambia last month -- arrived back in Britain on Sunday night and will appear at Bow Street Magistrates' Court, sitting at London's high security Belmarsh prison, on Monday in connection to the July 21 attacks.

However, Scotland Yard has refused to confirm any links between Aswat and the July 7 bombings.

The 30 year-old British national was immediately arrested on his arrival at RAF Northolt in Middlesex after his deportation from Zambia. Aswat, whose name appears on an international list of terrorist suspects, was flown back after intensive questioning in Africa by British and American agents over 20 calls he reportedly made to some of the London bombers.

Aswat wanted by US over alleged jihadi camp

Mutmaßliche Attentäter von London, Bilder einer Überwachungskamera

Aswat came from the hoemtown of July 7 suicide bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan, picture here leaving for London with the three other bombers on the morning of the deadly attacks.

Aswat, who grew up in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, the home of 7 July bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan, is wanted by US authorities over allegations that Aswat worked with others to set up a jihadi training camp in the United States.

The US warrant alleges that between October 1, 1999, and April 30, 2000, Aswat "conspired with others to control and manage ... persons in Bly, Oregon, who would be organized and trained ... and equipped for the purpose of enabling them to be employed for the use or display of physical force in promoting a political object, namely to make hijrah [migration] to, and to fight jihad in, Afghanistan."

DW recommends