Boston bombing suspect Tsarnaev moved from hospital | News | DW | 26.04.2013
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

Boston bombing suspect Tsarnaev moved from hospital

The surviving Boston Marathon bombings suspect has been moved from a hospital to a detention center. The transfer comes a day after authorities said he and his brother had planned another bomb attack in New York City.

The US Marshals Service said Friday that Dzokhar Tsarnaev left Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center overnight and was transferred to the Federal Medical Center Devens.

The facility, which lies around 40 miles (65 kilometers) northwest of Boston, is used to treat federal prisoners and detainees who require specialized long-term medical or mental care. Tsarnaev, 19, had been recovering in a Boston-area hospital since being found critically wounded in a boat in a suburban backyard following a massive police manhunt.

Tsarnaev is charged with carrying out the April 15 Boston bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 260. If convicted, he could receive the death penalty.

Alleged NY bomb plot

The announcement of Tsarnaev's transfer comes a day after authorities said he and his older brother Tamerlan planned to blow up the rest of their explosives in New York City's Times Square.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly on Thursday said the two ethnic Chechen brothers hatched the second attack plan spontaneously.

The brothers made the decision after the FBI shared information identifying the brothers on the Thursday that followed the April 15 bombing, Kelly said. However, the police chief added, the scheme came undone when the pair found they did not have enough gasoline in their stolen black Mercedes SUV to make the journey.

Kelly said that the pair had five pipe bombs and a pressure-cooker explosive, like the ones used in Boston, with them in the vehicle.

That Thursday night ended in a shootout, with one policeman killed and another seriously wounded. Tamerlan, 26, was subsequently killed in the shootout with police.

Doubts cast

Republican Congressman Mike Rogers, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, expressed doubt over the alleged New York plot.

"It's not clear to me that they were actually going to set those devices off, even though they had them with them," he told broadcaster CNN. "It's more plausible to me [that] they were going to do another event in the Boston area, and they were hiding out in New York City, [that] was their plan."

Rogers added that the younger Tsarnaev "has not continued to cooperate with authorities" since being made aware of his Miranda rights, which outline his rights to a lawyer and to remain silent against self-incrimination. Tsarnaev was reportedly interrogated for some 16 hours without being read his constitutional rights.

dr,rc/hc (AP, AFP)

DW recommends

ADVERTISEMENT