Marco Reus is the most high-profile name to miss out on Germany's number one game due to injury, but there are many others that won't feature in the latest instalment of Der Klassiker.
Marco Reus' long-awaited comeback has been delayed. This weekend, Dortmund are "avoiding any risks" by leaving Reus out of the squad for the game against Bayern after the winger suffered a heel injury.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Thomas Tuchel said Reus' current injury had nothing to do with previous issues. Tuchel said the injury "came out of nowhere" and that "it might be because of his shoes".
While this may be of concern to Puma, Dortmund's shirt and Reus' boot sponsor, it was of greater disappointment to Tuchel. The BVB head coach looked tired of talking injuries, especially to Reus who, according to Tuchel, had trained so well in recent weeks.
"We believe that Marco can be the monster we know he is capable of being." Thomas Tuchel said in February. Sadly, as 2017 approaches, the only monster-like aspect of Reus is the fearful shadow of retirement.
At 27, Reus is a footballer battered and bruised beyond his years. A quick and agile winger, Reus has suffered at the feet of less abled players. Away from the physical side, it also can't have been easy mentally for a player to have missed out on two major tournaments for Germany.
In his career, Reus has suffered muscle problems, a fractured toe, ruptured ligaments, ankle fractures, adductor and abductor tears. The list is longer in both severity and number than it is for most footballers. The injuries have destabilized his core strength and the strength of his feet, which in turn have slowed him down and reduced his agility. The very real fear is that when Reus does return - and next weekend's trip to Frankfurt is a possibility - how familiar a player will he be? And for how long can it last?
Noticeable in their absence
To add to Dortmund's woes, Reus wasn't the only name Tuchel mentioned as an injury concern. "Sebastian Rode isn't fully fit after his operation and Raphael Guerreiro is a major doubt," added Tuchel.
Earlier in the day, Carlo Ancelotti confirmed that Bayern Munich would be without Arjen Robben, Javi Martinez and Kingsley Coman.
Equally frustrated at the injuries to his players, Ancelotti voiced his concerns with the fixture list. "The international schedule is too busy at the moment. We have to find a solution to take care of the players," said the Italian on Friday.
When the Bayern bus departed Munich later, Arturo Vidal was not on it. On a more positive note, Ancelotti confirmed that Franck Ribery was fit and raring to go.