Belgian authorities have released a man they had charged with terrorism offenses in connection with last Tuesday's deadly attacks in Brussels. Media had speculated that the man could be a missing third attacker.
Belgian prosecutors said on Monday that the man,identified as Faycal C.,
had been released after no evidence was found to back up the allegations against him.
"The clues that had led to the arrest of the person named Faycal C. were not backed up by the progression of the ongoing investigation," the federal prosecution said in a statement.
Belgian media had speculated that Faycal C. could be a third man captured on video footage pushing a luggage trolley alongside thetwo suspected attackers,
who are thought to have blown themselves up, killing at least 11 people and injuring scores of others.
The third suspect is believed to have fled after his bomb failed to go off.
More suspects held
Belgian authorities said on Monday that the number of victims from Tuesday's attacks at the Brussels airport and a subway station had risen to 35, and thatthree more people were being held
on charges of involvement in terrorist activities.
Details were not released of the alleged terrorists' actions, and it was not said whether they were linked to the Brussels attacks.
A fourth suspect was set free without charge after questioning.
Investigators have also released a 32-second video of the third suspected attacker, seen wearing a dark hat and white jacket. They have asked for the public's help in establishing the man's identity.
Responsibility for the attacks has been claimed by the "Islamic State" extremist group.
tj/rc (AP, dpa)