Australia: Three die from eating contaminated melon | News | DW | 03.03.2018
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

Australia: Three die from eating contaminated melon

Authorities in Australia have traced a listeria outbreak that has killed three people to contaminated melons. People have been warned to throw out any cantaloupes bought before Wednesday.

Three Australians have died after consuming cantaloupes amid a listeria outbreak that has made at least 11 other people across the country sick in the past seven weeks.

Listeria bacteria, although harmless to most people, pose a severe threat to the elderly, pregnant women and those with serious conditions such as diabetes and cancer.

Most of the cases have been in the state of New South Wales, with others in Queensland and Victoria.

The outbreak has been traced to a melon farm in New South Wales. It has suspended production after authorities informed it of the contamination.

 'Throw it out'

Dr. Vicky Sheppeard from NSW Health urged people to throw away melons bought over the past few days.

"People vulnerable to listeriosis should discard any rockmelon [cantaloupe] purchased before 1 March," she said in a statement, adding that all the known cases were "elderly people, and most of them have significant underlying health conditions."

Listeriosis begins with flu-like symptoms that can set in up to six weeks after people consume contaminated produce. The bacteria can harm the babies of pregnant women even though they themselves do not fall ill.

Watch video 02:41
Now live
02:41 mins.

Food Poisoning - how to get rid of or avoid it completely

DW editors send out a selection of the day's hard news and quality feature journalism. You can sign up to receive it directly here.

DW recommends

WWW links

Audios and videos on the topic

ADVERTISEMENT