Augsburg secure dramatic comeback draw against Gladbach | Sports| German football and major international sports news | DW | 27.09.2013
  1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages


Augsburg secure dramatic comeback draw against Gladbach

Augsburg have secured a point at home against Borussia Mönchengladbach in an action-filled 2-2 draw. The Foals looked headed for victory until Arkadiusz Milik's late goal stole the show.

The opening match of the Bundesliga's seventh round was an early-season test of sorts for Augsburg and Borussia Mönchengladbach. With both teams on nine points, it was a chance to see if last season's relegation candidates could fight with a European contender.

Gladbach coach Lucien Favre once again went with his favored small attack - leaving strikers Luuk de Jong and Branimir Hrgota on the bench in favor of a Max Kruse-Raffael front line. The two combined well to create chances throughout the match, but in the end it was a pair of substitutes who decided the contest.

In the 23rd minute Gladbach should have gone ahead after an impressive series of passes led to Juan Arango picking up the ball in the box, but his shot was just a hair too high and it bounced off the crossbar.

Instead it was the hosts who went ahead first. Just four minutes later Timo Werner found Andre Hahn in the area with an impressive through ball, and the young striker tallied his first Bundesliga goal with a powerful finish.

The goal seemed to spur Gladbach into gear, and not six minutes later they had their equalizer. Max Kruse picked up Christoph Kramer's pass in the center of the box and fired low past Alexander Manninger for his fourth goal of the season.

Late Drama in Bavaria

In the second half the match looked headed for a draw until Hrgota, who had replaced Patrick Herrmann just moments earlier, scored the go-ahead goal in the 73rd minute. Kruse played creator from the left wing, sending a cross to the top of the area for a wide open Hrgota, whose one-time finish rocketed into the back of the net.

Unwilling to suffer a home defeat, Augsburg pushed hard for a late equalizer. Hahn and, in particular, Werner both managed decent shots on goal, but nothing was good enough to beat Gladbach's Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

The evening's most-dramatic moment finally came in the 88th minute. From the right wing, Hahn sent a low cross in front of goal that ter Stegen tipped to an unmarked Milik at the far post for the tap-in. It was a dramatic way for the Polish teenager on loan from Bayer Leverkusen to open his Bundesliga scoring account.

It finished 2-2, sending both clubs into double digit points for the season but nonetheless keeping them level. The result was another disappointing away performance for Gladbach, who have yet to secure three points on the road this season in four attempts.

"Augsburg put on a lot of pressure and they made things really hard," ter Stegen told broadcaster Sky after the match. "It's bitter that we conceded a goal in the last few minutes."