Atletico Madrid had little trouble with Olympic Marseille in the Europa League final, winning 3-0 to lift the trophy. French international striker Antoine Griezmann scored a brace on the way to victory.
Olympique Marseille 0 - 3 Atletico Madrid
(Griezmann 21' 49', Gabi 89')
Atletico Madrid have won their third European title in six years, beating Olympique Marseille 3-0 to lift the Europa League trophy in Lyon.
Marseille came out on the attack early, trying to draw first blood, and Dimitri Payet created the first good scoring chance of the game. However, after being played into the clear in the area, Valere Germain failed to hit the target.
Marseille continued to have more of the ball, but never really looked dangerous again for the rest of the half.
The turning point came in the 21st minute when Andre Zambo Anguissa failed to control a pass from goalkeeper Steve Mandanda, allowing Atletico to scoop up the ball, with Antoine Griezmann being sent in all alone – and he made no mistake.
In the second half, Marseille continued to have more of the ball, but they couldn't make anything of it. Griezmann added a second in the 49th minute, taking a pass from Koke into the area and cooly chipping the ball past Mandanda to make it 2-0.
The outcome was never in doubt from that point on, but Atletico captain Gabi took his chance in the 89th minute to make the final score 3-0 for the new Europa League champions.
Re-live the live action below:
90'+2 Atletico Madrid win 3-0 and are Europa League champions!
90+1 Two minutes of injury time to be played.
90' Griezmann goes off, he's replaced by Fernando Torres.
89' Goal for Atletico Madrid! Gabi with a fine finish across the goalmouth and into the far corner.
84' Amavi takes a crack from just outside of the Atleti area, but it is right at Oblak who is able to hold on to it.
81' Marseille come close! However, Mtiroglou's header comes back off the upright.
77' Kuipers hands out another yellow card, this time to Njie.
75' Yellow card for Gustavo after he throws a bit of an elbow at his opponent.
74' Another change for Marseille, Valere Germain comes off and is replaced by Kostas Mitroglu.
68' Luis Gustavo with a clumsy foul on Griezmann, another opportunity for Atletico. Griezmann looks for Saul, but the ball goes off Gustavo for a corner. The corner results in a shot that Mandanda touches over the bar.
66' Marseille are gifted a corner but make nothing of it. There doesn't look to be a way back for the French side.
55' Subsitution for Marseille: Ocampos doesn't look happy as he walks off and is replaced by Clinton Njie.
52' Godin comes close for Madrid, heading the ball just to the outside of the right post off a corner.
49' Goal for Atletico! Griezmann does it again! Koke plays the Frenchman into the Marseille box and Griezmann beats a charging Steve Mandanda with a cool chip.
46' One change for Madrid: Sime Vrsaljko has been replaced by another defender, Juanfran.
46' Björn Kuipers blows on his whistle and Atletico kick off to start the second half. It starts with heavy rain coming down in Lyon.
45+1 The referee blows the whistle to end the half. The difference-maker in the first half was the miscue by Zambo Anguissa that served up an opportunity that Griezmann just doesn't miss. Marseille had much more of the ball (61 percent) than Atletico, but their only serious opportunity was wasted by Germain in the 4th minute.
45' The fourth official indicates that there will be at least one minute of time added on.
38' First yellow card of the match goes to Amavi for sticking his foot in front of an opponent's shot as he was following through.
32' Substitution for Marseille: The captain, Dimitri Payet, looks to have injured his hamstring and is replaced by 20-year-old Maxime Lopez.
24' A half chance for Marseille. After a scramble in the Atletico area, Ocampos' long looping header drops onto the top netting.
21' Goal for Atletico! Antoine Griezmann finishes easily after Marseille gave the ball away. Anguissa failed to control a pass from Manadanda, allowing Griezmann to walk in alone on the goalkeeper.
19' Payet's effort fails to trouble Jan Oblak in the Madrid goal.
14' Koke plays it into the Marseille area from a free kick, but the Olympique defenders clear it easily. A subsequent Koke effort from distance goes wide.
12' Sarr fires from just outside the Madrid area, but his shot skids past the left post
6' Rami takes a shot from just inside the Athletico area, but his effort is just wide of the target.
4' Great chance for Marseille! Germain takes a through ball from Payet into the box but his effort is way off target.
1' Referee Björn Kuipers blows his whistle, Marseille kick off, and the Europa League final is underway!
Atletico Madrid team news:
Marseille team news:
- Meanwhile, French sports paper L'Équipe reckon Dimitri Payet - who has the most assists of any player in the competition - leads the line for Marseille. Official team news to follow.
- Spanish sports daily Marca claim to have an early leaked Atletico line-up:
Oblak - Vrsaljko, Gimenez, Godin, Lucas - Gabi, Koke, Saul Niguez, Correa - Griezmann, Costa
- But Atleti will have to do without the presence of their charismatic coach Diego Simeone as the Argentinian serves a touchline ban after being sent to the stands in the first leg of the semifinal against Arsenal. A late appeal from the Madrid side was rejected by UEFA.
- After convincing victories over FC Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow, Atletico Madrid then had a slightly tougher route to the final, edging past Sporting Lisbon in the quarterfinal and then Arsenal in the semi.
- Marseille overcame Spoirting Braga, Athletic Bilbao, RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg on their way to the final which is effectively a final at home, with Lyon located only 300km north of the port city - and thousands of fans are expected to follow their team whether they have tickets or not.
- After bitter Champions League final defeats against local rivals Real in recent years, Atletico Madrid are finally looking for success in a major European final. For opponents Olympique Marseille, it's a first European final appearance since defeat to Valencia in the UEFA Cup final in 2004.
- Read DW's match preview here: Atletico Madrid go from rebels to favorites against Marseille
+++ Bonsoir! Good evening and welcome to DW's live coverage of the Europa League final between Olympique Marseille and Atletico Madrid in Lyon +++