Beyond your World and DW Akademie are looking for three young enthusiastic journalists from Germany, aged 18-30 years to take part in one of three reporting trips to Brazil in 2014.
Ongoing demonstrations, the upcoming World Cup, preparations for the Olympic Games and approaching elections; 2014 is considered to be a very important year for Brazil. Consequently, many stories are out there and are waiting to be covered. Beyond Your World would like to make a big contribution with this special project. Three groups of journalists from 6 different European countries will travel before, during and after the World Cup. The European journalists will cooperate with Brazilian journalism students in Rio, as well as in the second location - and they will be working on their media productions together in a team. The project "Beyond Brazil - Brasil Além" exists of a training program and the reporting trip / production of stories. The training program and information meetings are organized online.
The reporting trips are three weeks. The first week with introduction activities will take place in Rio de Janeiro. During the second week the group will be split into small teams and travel to a second location (Belem, Ilheus, Pelotas, Ouro Preto, Umarama, Ribeirao Preto, and Rio Branco). Each European journalist is teamed up with a Brazilian journalist from Rio de Janeiro, and a Brazilian journalist from one of the mentioned other cities. The third week the group will be back in Rio de Janeiro to finish its work.
Dates of reporting trips
• Reporting Trip 1: 9th - 30th March 2014 (Before the World Cup)
• Reporting Trip 2: 12th June - 3rd July 2014 (World Cup)
• Reporting Trip 3: 20th September - 11th October 2014 (General Elections)
The focus will be on audio and video productions. All European journalists are obliged to make four media productions. The idea is to produce stories about Brazil throughout 2014, focussing on particular topics and following up each other's stories (before, during, after). The media productions will be published on the project's website Join Magazine and in external media outlets in all project countries.
• Proven experience with and interest in international journalism, multimedia, photography and / or film
• The ambition to make journalism productions abroad
• Eagerness to learn about other cultures and willingness to cooperate with colleagues from different nationalities
• Knowledge of and interest in Brazil and current developments
• Agreement to produce four media stories (two for Join Magazine and two freelance) while working with Brazilian journalists
• Commitment to active participation in the project from February until December 2014: online training program and platforms, meetings, reporting trip and other group activities
• Ability to work in an (international) team
• Residence in Germany
• Between 18-30 years (qualifying date: start date of the trip)
• Fluent English in word and speech (knowledge of Portuguese language is very useful)
All European participants pay 500 EUR own contribution as well as a deposit of 500 EUR. The deposit will be refunded when the four media productions are submitted within the set deadline.
What do you receive in return?
• Full online training program and preparation activities
• Editorial supervision
• Access to international journalism network of Beyond Your World
• Return flight ticket to Brazil (Rio de Janeiro)
• Domestic flight / travel to second location in Brazil
• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro and second location (three weeks)
• Introduction program and group activities during first week in Rio de Janeiro
• Partial coverage of food / drinks / local travel
Want to apply?
While the reporting trips take place in different periods throughout the year, we are recruiting and selecting participants all at the same time. The focus will be on audiovisual productions, so we encourage video journalists, radio makers and photographers to apply.
Please describe your experience in journalism and focus on specific journalism discipline. Please send the following documents to with the subject line "Application BYW: Brasil Além" before the 10th of January 2014 - 5 PM to beyondyourworld(at)dw.de:
• Motivation letter
• Personal concept: a) Tell us your ideas and topics for media productions in Brazil as well as contacts you may already have to media outlets b) Please give us your first and second choice of travel period
• Portfolio: preferably two relevant media productions
The motivation letter has to be written in German. Personal Concept, CV and Portfolio can be provided either in German or English.
Contact and more information
For more information about the project please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beyond Your World EU on Twitter: @BYWEU