1. Inhalt
  2. Navigation
  3. Weitere Inhalte
  4. Metanavigation
  5. Suche
  6. Choose from 30 Languages

News

Al-Shabab claims responsibility for bomb attacks in southern Somali city

Over a dozen people have been killed in a terrorist attack in the city of Baidoa. The bombings are the second attack in recent days to be claimed by the extremist group al-Shabab.

The death toll from a weekend bombing rose on Monday, according to regional governor of Bay region, Abdurashid Abdulahi.

Anywhere from 21 to 30 people had already been reported killed. At least 40 people were also injured in the blasts, according to authorities.

A suicide bomber purportedly detonated himself in a popular restaurant called Beder on Sunday, while another attacker set off a car bomb outside a different restaurant, police said.

Al-Shabab, an Islamic terrorist organization affiliated with al Qaeda, has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Ongoing insurgency

"The mujahideen carried out two massive explosions in Baidoa targeting restaurants used by members of the apostate South West Administration," a statement issued by the Sunni militants said.

The blasts come just two days after another terrorist attack claimed by al-Shabab at a luxury hotel and parking garage in the capital of Mogadishu.

That attack killed at least 14 people and injured at least 18.

Al-Shabab have claimed responsibility for numerous terrorist attacks in Somalia over the years as they seek to create a religious state within the country.

blc/kms (AFP, dpa)

DW recommends